Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading Through the Looking Glass

Through the Looking Glass. Lewis Carroll. 1871. 228 pages. [Source: Bought]

I love, love, love Through the Looking Glass. I think I might even love it more than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Together they are just a JOY to read. The thing I love the most about Through the Looking Glass is the language, the writing, the style. The book is just so very quotable!!! The scenes are fun, playful, and memorable.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday--but never jam today.
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
They gave it to me--for an un-birthday present.
I beg your pardon? Alice said with a puzzled air.
I'm not offended said Humpty Dumpty.
I mean, what is an un-birthday present?
A present given when it isn't your birthday, of course.
Alice considered a little. I like birthday presents best, she said at last.
You don't know what you're talking about cried Humpty Dumpty. How many days are there in a year?
Three hundred and sixty-five said Alice.
And how many birthdays have you?
One.
And if you take one from three hundred and sixty-five, what remains?
Three hundred and sixty-four of course.
When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less.
The question is, said Alice, whether you can make words mean so many different things.
The question is, said Humpty Dumpty, which is to be master--that's all.
I see nobody on the road said Alice.
I only wish I had such eyes, the King remarked in a fretful tone. To be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!
Always speak the truth -- think before you speak -- and write it down afterwards.
© 2013 SukaYuka.com of SukaYuka's Book Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment